Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Apple Advice

If you order a Granny Smith tree from Clareville Nursery, they will ring you a week later and say it has arrived and is ready to pick up. So, um, why did I buy a dwarf Granny Smith from High St Plants at the weekend. Now I willl have two Granny Smith Trees. Well, .5 if I count the grafted tree at the back where the other .5 is a gala.

The quest for sustainability is not an easy one. I am running out of land.

Oh well, I like Granny Smiths. Real Granny Smiths. They are in fact my favourite apple.

And in fact my first memories of the Wairarapa are assoicated with long drives over the Rimutakas to get to Greytown in the May school holidays to pick Granny Smiths. This would be supplemented with a stop at the Greytwon Dairy factory and the purchase of pineapple cheese - which was sort of a version of a big block of real mild cheese with chunks of pineapple in - not that processed stuff. Well those memories take me back a good 30 years or so.

Anyway keep reading this blog for the next five years - and in that time I should due to my 2.5 Granny Smith trees have an abundance of my very own fruit. Looks like I will be digging up the side area by the house this weekend.

I have 3 more white roses to plant for Strongerlight and Morgues wedding (read civil union - but I am old fashioned and prefer the term wedding, even though I acknowldege the political importance of the civil union) - but will be posting seperately on the development of the white roses

No comments: