Saturday, January 31, 2009

Train timetable

The Wairarapa train time table has been amended on Friday nights. This means the "late" train no longer departs at 9.55pm. It departs at 10.25pm scheduled to arrive at my destination at 11.44pm. This is now ingrained in my mind. I catch the "late" train a lot less frequently than I used to, but last night I did. Only just. You see I thought the new late train departed at 10.30. I said goodbye to the people I was with at the Thistle, strolled over to the railway station and through late night entry which is suppose to detect Friday night drunks. This is always a msytery to me becasue the security guards seem quite haphazard and I would question their ability should ever there be real Friday night commotion.

So at 10.25 I walk though the secruity clearance and ask what platform the Wairarapa train is on. The security guards grunt at each other and then one says "you better be quick - its just about to go on platform 8". So I move quickly to platform 8 and wave. The guard looks as if he is going to ignore me, so I keep walking towards him.

The fricken train is parked half way up the platform and there is one of the bozodozo guards on. Anywway he holds the trains. I puff. As soon as get through the doors he gets on, and the train departs.

This is train adrenalin. Its a strange and weird thing one only expereicnces if one is relaint on public transport and a fixed timetable. Its that feeling, like, yes, I just defeated the fixed timetable.

As Obama would say "Yes I can"

No comments: