Thursday, April 2, 2009

Some reasons why I like my town

I like my town - Carterton, because its real. My version of real. eg. Today I went and purchased fish from the fish man. He is the brother in law of Jean, the wife of the man who catches the fish out at Flat Point. I puchased the freshest Warehou for $9.00. Two decent meals. I don't know the name of the Jean's brother in law, just that I am his mate and he is my mate. Because like he says mate every second word and smiles. He is so happy. And he tells the same stories. And I kindof like that. Also the way he parks his truck up in the square and then people old and young come to him for his fish and his stories. And he is kind of a storyteller first and fishmonger second.

And then I go to Mirabelle - possibly the best cafe in the Wairarapa. Its run by this superb NZ cook and her French husband. The French husband is the front of house. Hes a bit abrupt sometimes, but today we established that I am a "local" and work in Wellington. This seemed to be quite significant progress for the Frenchman and me. This really is the best authentic French cafe you will find in the Wellington/Wairarapa region. Locals come in and meals are made to order, and there are conversations.

Then I went to buy a saw from the hardware store. I like the way the hardware store man treats you like you are the most important customer in the world. Which in that moment is possibly true because you are the only customer. But theres more authenticity to it than that. Its about making conversation.

Then i came home and sawed my wood (which my back neighbour chopped down without permission, but I kind of forgot that because the sun was shining and my bamboo is growing) while the roadworks guys had a banter about stuff and then got on with their work

No comments: