Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Eftpos, Lady Doctors and the train ride home

I will continue my discourse on my love for the wheelie bin and the provenacne of my wheelie bins later this week. Tonight I will merely note that one of the things I love about the wheelie bins is their shere basic function of mobility - being able to wheel ones rubbish around. But other things of note happened today.

1. While standing at teh Westpac etfpos machine, the man in front of me left his receipt behind after he had completed his transaction. I had a hunch he did so on purpose. So I deliberateley did not look at it and put it down as if was not going to read it and pretended I had put it in the waste disposal part of the machine. Once he had clearly got out of sight I turned it over. His account was in excess credit of $17,000. Wanker, I thought. You jsut wanted me to know that you have that amount in your account.

2. Today I made an appointment to see a lady dr for a ladies issue. This is a big event for me. I have not had a signicant "medical issue" since I had scarlet fever when I was 5 years old. I am hoping my issue is not that significant now. I get freaked out at seeing a dr for personal reasons. This is ironcial given I worked for Health for so long. Anyway, today i learnt it pays to be registered with an inner city dr otherwise you cant get an appointment. My drs name is clare obrien. I found her in the telephone book after two unsucessful attempts at pratices. My ea (well the team ea) couldn't udnerstand why I wanted a telephone book. She advised me to use the internet to look up a telephone becasue it would be quicker. It is hard to fin telephone books at my workplace! - this does not allow for the fact that you don't know who you are ringing. When you are rining an unknown dr it is easier to go by the hard copy of a telephone book. I hope she is as irish, funny, and hot at her job as my dentist is. And I hope that its a not serious, but if it is serious then I will deal with it. Problem is I am just not medicalised enough that this all quite an event for me. last night I cried. I was very worried. But tonight I know I can do it and face it. Gosh, just think how many people go to see a GP every day.

3. Today I lady and her son travelled on the 6.18. They came puffing into my carriage about 6.17 with their luggage. they had been to the South Isladn for a trip and their train from Christchurch had been delayed and the ferry had been delayed. I was so pleased they were pleased. Usually, its just another train ride. They were very animated and were talking baout how pleased they were. They also talked a lot about what they would eat for dinner, which dairies would be open in Greytown and what they would do when they got home. One passenger then moved and went to another carriage. I think she was a train snob. IO think she thought the lady and her son were too remedial. Perhaps I am being as judgemnetal in calling her a train snob. The ladies son was I think a little remedial. How could I tell? he didn't really talk that much. What? can you call someone remdial because he smiles a lot and his protective of his luagge and his mother. or, just ebcasue he listens to walkman with one headphone. Music is music whether yu have a MP3 player or a telphone thant plays music like a mP3 player - which hello, I do:-) - although my remedial thing is I need to learn to download cheaper than gettiing that telecom monkey to do it for me.

The four boys sitting in front of me boys heading back to one of the private boys iN amsterotn noted they thought the adult son was remeidal it when he got off the train with his mother. They had just completed a NCEA exam (NCEA is now in my vocab). They didn't know was anarobic was. Whtehre it was not enough oxygen or too much oxygen. The lady who got off at Greytown with her son knew in detail Just before she got off the train she stopped by them and gave them a full definition. She explained she knew so much becasue her husband was a dr. She smiled and left. I wanted to say "good onya lady" and heck I didnt know that but then I dint do 5th form science. But thats a seperate story.

Anarobic - its all about oxyegen. Whether we have enough or not and how we use the space we are in.

Now I must iron my clothes, becasue tomorrow is going to be the peak of my career at my new workplace to date. I have a "workshop". Theoretcially its a workshop in partnership with others. But its the first time I meet all my key stakeholders. I need to wow them and woo them and treat them like our lvies depend on each other. I will put on my happy interview face and disposition. Everyone is my best best friend and we will all work happily together for great learning outocmes and to maximise all our potential Or, something, like that.

then at the end of the day I will see the dr.

2 comments:

strong light said...

Trains are nice

Homeperm said...

now that i know that the significant health issue is less significant than you originally thought i can tell you that the whole 'remedial' discussion is hilarious. and yes, someone is remedial if they listen to music with only one earphone for more than a few seconds.