Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Time management and ethics

I was going to post bout newspapers and recycling and my latest update on this topic Instead I will revisit another topic I have written about before.

I have two problems. The first relates to the time management of my manager. She reschedules every meeting. This would be Ok if it was the exception to the rule. If she was very busy. If she needed to accomodate the manager above her manager. But as the manager above her manager no longer exists this is not a problem.

My problem is I get very agitated.

I see her outside her office when she is supposed to be meeting me, and then gets one of the "princiapals" and shust the door. Well, today I had had enough. The 2.30 meeting got shunted to 4.30. As she didn't bother to come out of her office I didn't bother to stay (theres this unspoke rule if the office door is shut you dont go in). I left at 5.15 without explanation underr the pretence I had to catch my train. But actually I catch the 618 so could have stayed tilll 6pm. I could have stayed, but I was getting increasingly agitated. Its rude and arrogant and ego driven. Thats what irks me. I seem to have the lowest thresehold within my team. She does it to everyone - well, all the "seniors". However, that in my view does not make it justifable. It just wastes time. I have time, but that is not the point.

My problem is it is potentially going to create conflict because it is pissing me off big time and I know I am not managing it effectively and I lack the ability to hide my discontent. But like I said, its just something I have zero tolerance for as I consider it to be an ego thing. I could accept it if it was justifed.

I have thought about telling her its one of my values and I find it frustrating - but I dont think
this would work.

Advice would be valued. As tomorrow, I still need to meet with her - and guess what? Its over fricken template. Maybe thats the other thing thats equal to the discontent. Its the meeting thing but its also collective input when it is completely unnecessary and a decent horse becomes a Donkey.

Ethics
As referred to above the manager above my manager has resigned. This was becasue apparently policy was not followed. Did this concern my colleagues? It appeared not. Not in the slightest. However, when supplementary information appeared to reveal that the manager above my manager was not quite as well qualified as she had led colleageus to believe, this seems to stress my colleagues and outrage them into dicussion on how it was all wrong. Well hello. Wheres the ethics in that? Without knowing the full evidence but having read the OIA report becasue its public, both were wrong. It really concerns me that my colleagues can't seem to distingusih this. I think they feel outraged becasue they feel they have been betrayed and do not know this person fully like they throught they did. I just don't get it. Both behaviours are wrong.

I just don't get my workplace. Its values are not aligned with mine.

Seriously, advice on this time management thing would be appreciated becasue tomorrow I fear I may up for wigging out.

4 comments:

Homeperm said...

one: don't wig out
two: templates! urgh! refer to my post about office space.
three: you should not take offence. your manager is a poor time keeper. which is disrespectful but she may not have made the connection yet.
four: don't wig out.

Kitsunegirl said...

It helps me to think "putting up with crap is part of why I get paid so much."

Cushi said...

i agree w Homeperm - templates, yuk. i think the positive in this situation is that at least you are not a crazy, institutionalised bureaucrat.
so did you wig out?

Anonymous said...

Thе naturе of the DD oS onset іs body гespοnd to the Rehabіlitatiοn
treatments. Onе οf ωhіch is thе phrаse 'Felicitous Ending' this is Nοгmallу an optіonal eхtгa іn about
of Patοng's tantric massage parlours.

Feel free to visit my webpage :: erotic massage london