Sunday, April 27, 2008

Homperm has talent

Last night I attended a talent party hosted by Homeperm and her talented friend. It was the best party I have attended this year. (well, the last party I attended was technically on New Years Eve....so draw together the dots and it is the only party I have attended this year. But that aside, I am confident that even if I had attended nore parties it still would have been the best.

It was to give it crude analysis a remix version of a traditional talent party, updated with a little of "so you think you can dance", a little of "american idol", a little of "stars in yoru eyes" "The Terrace Classical concerts of St Andrews" mixed in with an updated section from the old Country Womens Instititutes shows. The art was making that mix work - and it did. There were classical sounds, there wer floyd sounds and there were beasutiful "beats".

The best thing is that everyone had talent and everyone got to appreciate each others talent.

One of the quirky things I liked about the night was that the contractor who disappeared from my not my last workplace but the workplace before that turned out to be a magician! That explains a lot.

Today was spent in the Hutt. Then I decided soon as a had the car and transport I would go over to Wainuiomata to see my old family home. I can't explain why I did, I just felt the need to -its a strange way of grounding myself, reminding myself where I have come from, but also reminding myself I no longer belong there - there are of course parallels in there for my work life. The new owners have buildt a new kitset/garage type house where the garden was. It was weird. But I knew it would happen - so did my Dad. He used t say something like "when I'm dead I bet some buggar will come and get rid of the garden, wipe it out" and put another house there - but I wont be alive to see it" Well I am, and I have seen it, and I'll post more about it tomorrow.

On the way home I stopped at the Indian diary in Epuni and bought some crysthamums and carantions - not that Dad ever really grew those - but in just in memory of the flowers that once were in that place where the new house sits. I alos stopped at the garden centre - but will post more about that tomorrow.

Anway, finally for todays posting, pre Homperm's party I was reminded that Strongerlight and Morgue are getting married next January - my talent for this occassion is flowers - so I have some serious work to do. Its a good and enjoyable goal to strive for - and reminds me of the importance of creating my own garden to the standard I used to achive with my Dad. The flowers we grew together in that place where there is now a house were used for weddings, funderals and other occassions....

2 comments:

Homeperm said...

so pleased you enjoyed the parTy. and you're right actually, it was dancing with the stars meets country women's institute. which are only two of my favourite things.

and wainuiomata is such a strange place. in a good way mostly, but the whole being in a valley really gives it an isolated feel. my memories of it are different from yours obviously, but every time i go over the hill i'm hit with nostaglia.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say what а сomfort to find ѕomeboԁy that
truly undеrѕtands whаt they're talking about on the net. You actually understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people ought to check this out and understand this side of the story. It's surprising уοu are not moгe pοpulаг ѕіnсе you most certainly posѕess the gift.


Alѕо viѕit mу weblog ... cccam