Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pedestrian observations

Pedestrian observations
We can walk on different sides of "The Terrace“
We can pretend we don’t see each other
When we can
But you know, I would know that look,
that movement, that head tilted down concentrated look that says without saying
I can’t see you – but you can
You see
Anywhere, Anytime
I would know that look without even looking
I’ve executed it myself
So many times before over a lifetime
Just, you know, the point of difference
Is
Not with you


It was just a random but automated glance to the other side
an automatic eye movement
my eye flickers
like a failed exposure
without knowing
it would locate you
standing there in the entrance way
to where I once belonged

You can shuffle your feet
like suddenly they are the most important
things in the world
to choreograph
but its just a metaphor
for the distance
than now exists

This time last year
there would have been a wave
a smile at least
a positive result
that communication was still alive
active
even if there wasn't time to talk
to cross-over and converse

You once asked me what I feared most
Now I know
Distance and silence
when they replace the friendship
that once existed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it possible that they just didn't see you? although getting blanked by a friend stings a little i've found. but then i blank people too, because i'm an introvert and sometimes i just can't be bothered.

strong light said...

I love it that you're writing again! Write more! YAy.

Amelia said...

i need glasses so sometimes people are a blur on the street.

Anonymous said...

well it is true, I think that the subject I don't think had their glasses on. However, that is becasue they are middle aged (much like myself) and I think their eyesight is changing. Still, I am hard to miss, even for the shortsighetd....