Thursday, February 14, 2008

A seagull with one leg

Today I had lunch with a seagull with one leg. Sometimes, when I have lunch by myself I grab a ham and egg sandwich and wander down to the wharf and sit on the new flash wooden seats. Specifically, outside the final building still being developed becasue it allows some shade. Today about 5 seagulls descended and one huge big brown sea fowl thing. I noticed one seagull appeared to have only one leg. I wasnn't sure though. So I relented and threw it some crust becasue I felt sorry for it. It flew off and sure enough it did only have one leg. It returned and I threw it some more. I was quite pleased that I was able to mkae sure the one legged seagull secured what I had to offer against quite tough odds. But then I figured being a one legged seagull is probably not an easy life. After this sucess it then became extremely noisy and competetive amongst the bridlife so I walked to the other side by Frank Kitts park - inspired by the one legged seagull.

I'm still thinking through on how to cope with my borderline depression. The other night I saw John Kirwan on tv. Apparently, according to John if you write H.O.P.E in sand on a very nice beach it helps. I guess it would. Also, if you sit in a nice old tree and your kids come up to hug you and you get paid a nice re sum for appearing on tv. So, I went out to my backyard grabbed a stake and drew the word hope. Its not the same as a beach and I didn't get paid for doing it. The pumpkin plant also got in the way.

I don't like those mental health ads. I hope somebody does. But I think they suck. Think about it. The stats. Its normal people - its "people like us". But there's another very nice chap with a bipolar disorder and he too gets to hang out at the beach, and his wife/partner/friends/ love him. This is not meant to be a woe is me posting. Its just meant to be a statement of discontent that those ads don't resonate with me and my life and quite frankly I wonder who they do resonnate with. According to the media awards, lots of people. But I would argue recognition is quite different from resonance.

Anyway, I'm thinking positive re the upcoming weekend. My challenge is to reduce my sleep from last weeekend. If I achieve that it will be a good step.

3 comments:

Kitsunegirl said...

Actually JK did that stuff for free. That's why he got double knighted for it.

Hebequeen said...

Actually, I do have a bit or repsect for JK and I guess the fact that a) I've posted about the ads and b) been thinking about the ads may actaully mean they do resonate with me in some way. As in even posting publically about as I way of saying this for me is a bit of space I'm in, go in sometimes.

Anonymous said...

yeah the ads don't responate with me either. i especially don't like the low down ads for youth depression and mental health issues etc... but then sadly i'm no longer a youth.

also, hello mental health illness is the new black. i wouldn't go so far to say it is cool, cos it isn't, but it is my LIFE LONG AMBITION TO HAVE A COUNSELLOR. i am thinking of making it a wardrobe staple.

ps: i sleep when i am in avoidance mode. i asked a dr you and i both know about it once because i thought i was clinically depressed. and basically he told me to get real (the non JK approved approach) and that actually it was avoidance behaviour. he said it nicer than that. and in a way that was like "sleeping a lot is not consistent with depression" or whatever. anyway, i digress. this is your blog not mine:) i should log out and go to bed. good night.