Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bark chips

Today I ordered a truckload of barkchips. To be technically correct not actually a truckload of barkchips but a truckload of amenity garden bark. This is to put on my amenity garden. Heck, I may as well have ordered a truck load of gold. It costs $75.00 to deliver and so much per square metre. That is, $75.00 delivery for a 10km or so distance and back from Oldfields. I can't remember how many square metres fit in a truck - I think it was 10. Anyway, all up this is costing over $400.00. The alternative is hiring a trailer at $20.00 but then that only takes a cubic metre or so. So, its actually cost efficient in the scheme of things to order the bark. It will also reduce labour hours, make my garden look nicer and be more sustainable in terms of water retention. Its not cheap being sustainable.
The amenity bark will be delivered tomorrow. My garden is not quite ready for it. But I figured get the bark and that will spur me in to more action. This is the theory. I hope the truck fits and tips down the driveway.
The barkman sounded on the phone a bit rough and ready. I need to perfect a technique for dealing with suppliers and tradespeople. There's an art to it. And I haven't quite practiced it enough.
As someone is now officially unemployed and therefore no money going in to my bank account this week or for another three weeks or so I don't have money to be spending on barkchips.
But I need to get my garden in to shape.
In quite tragic news the tree fern I purchased with money from my last employer has been going brown and I have to chop some leaves off. It needed much more water - so it has suffered a bit of a rocky start. I hope it survives and that new leaves grow.
In other financial news I rang the Tax Department today. Yes, my student loan is payed off. In fact I am in credit by about $400.00 or so. Unfortunately, it takes them 10 days to send a tax form to me to change my tax code! Still, at least this should mean when I do become employed again I have about $300.00 or so each pay extra.
Money is on my mind.

No comments: