Thursday, January 24, 2008

Deer

There are baby Deer at Matarawa. It is the first time I have noticed them. They are in a seperate paddock with their mothers. The fathers having done their work are in a seperate paddock. This is the first time I have noticed the baby deer - Does? They must have been there this time of year the last two years in a row but I did not notice. I'm not sure why lambs, calves and does are all born at different times of the year. But that seems to be the case - and in that order. As for my catapillars they really are gone. I will try again next year.


I am contemplating improving my sustainability and buy local factor which already has got a pretty good self assessment rating. Tonight I ate Moki from the fish shop in Wellington. It was "fresh". Maybe. But it tasted nothing like the Moki I get from the market. I also wathced the eco gardening programme and with a bit more refined planning in my garden I should be able to eat out of it full time. And anything I can't grow get from the market.


Also my driveway needs rounduping to get rid of the weeds. If I can find a way to do this without the roundup I could seriously be getting my garden on the way to being truly organic.

My only pitfall is water consumption...

2 comments:

Mel Archer said...

If the weeds are embedded in concrete or between paving stones, have you tried pouring boiling water on the foliage? Works particularly well on dandelions, no roundup required ;).
Haven't looked through your whole blog yet but have you seen the sustainable living/households website? www.sustainableliving.org.nz
I attended a course here in Dunedin and it was great! Really helpful and inspiring! - Mel

Anonymous said...

Hi, Awesome to get comments from you. Sometimes I feel I am blogging into a blank space. I will check both your site and the sustainbable site out in more detail. I have used boiling water before - really efective for small areas. The problem is the size of the my driveway. Its nearly the length of my 1/4 acre section and a good car couple of car widths. But I am determined I will find a solution!