Monday, January 14, 2008

The cost of a visit to Wellington

Yesterday I went to visit someone in Island Bay. On face value this should have cost me $26.00 for the train fare plus the bus fare. It turns out the bus fare cost $3.50 each way. It would have been cheaper had the bus driver reminded me that day trippers were cheaper off I was travelling off peak. So, all up this trip cost to Island Bay cost me $33.00 for a cup of coffee with a former colleague. Ok, now I have defied the rule of putting a price on friendship. Now normally I have no problems about my commuter costs. Its the price I pay for living in the Wairarapa. Having worked this out the reverse is also true. If someone visits me it costs them $26.00. If not in public transport then petrol/car costs. My actual day yesterday though ended up costing much more than that. Hence, the remainder of my unemployment period will be spent in happy hibernation.

How to attract butterflies into your garden
Inspired by a young boy at the plant centre I purchased a swan plant. It works. Plant a swan plant and the monarch butterfly goes straight for it. I'm not sure how this works. But it works. I like monarch butterflies. There is something quite majestic about them.

No comments: