Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The bark man

The bark man came at 8.00am or so today. I was having a shower. It was a little embarrassing for both of us. I said "oh, I didn't think I would be your first job". He responded " your not, I start work at 6.am. Your my second job of the day." I paid him cash. He gave me a receipt. This is how you deal with tradesmen or anyone in fact. Cash goes a long way.
Now, shovel by shovel I deposit the bark on to my garden in various stages. This is not as as easy as it sounds. Well the shovelling of the bark is.
However. I have to prepare the soil first. Fertiliser it with blood and bone, sheep pellets, potash, epsom salts. Then I have to water this in. Followed by the ritual layering of the recycled newspapers. More watering and then the layering of the bark.
There's a long way to go. I have to intersperse little afternoon sleeps because it gets so hot. The trick I think is to get up early do a few hours and then do the key work beginning and end of day.
It will be worth it.

No comments: