Saturday, January 5, 2008

Maori potatoes

Yesterday I harvested my first Maori potatoes that I had grown myself - these were even sprouted by me having been left over from the "Ellis Freidman" barbecue last year. When you dig them up its like finding black gold. When they are cooked though they go super and penetrating purple. They are nice but I quite like the basic standard old spud. They do they make a superb contrast in colour on the plate with fresh pan fried groper and tomato salsa.

I had groper at Stokers, vineyard the other day. That restaurant is good value and nice people - plus Gladstone vineyard is making an effort to be sustainable. Sometimes the Stoker lady sells Irish soda bread at the market. But one reason for this is she and her husband are Irish. It's nice to eat out but I reckon my groper is pretty dam fine when I pan fry or bake it. Probably helps we have the same fish source.

Speaking of the market yesterday it was packed. There were also numerous morris dancers in attendance. Hmm. I don't get morris dancers.

My village is being invaded with summer tourists. The market is packed and then go Moise's for coffee as I usually do at the weekend and a read of magazine - and the people at the next table are discussing their holiday home and how their wife appeared the hot section of the Sunday Star last weekend. I now consider myself a "local". Although really I am a Wellingtonian too, I guess, just not when I'm being a local.

No comments: